Solomon is a freelance lighting designer for live performance of all kinds.
Selected New York credits: Duat (Soho Rep); Men on Boats (Playwrights Horizons/Clubbed Thumb); This is the Color... (Door 10/Baryshnikov Arts Center); Christina Anderson’s Hollow Roots (Public Theatre - Under the Radar); America is Hard to See (LifeJacket/HERE); Rite of Spring (Martha Graham Dance Co.); The Soldier’s Tale (Carnegie Hall); The Velveteen Rabbit (Atlantic for Kids); Enemy of the People, The Pavilion (Barrow Group); The Film Society (Keen / Theatre Row); I Came to Look for You on Tuesday (La Mama); White’s Lies (New World Stages). He is a core member of SHC.
Regionally: Arden, Berkshire Theatre Group, Magic, Merry-Go-Round, Portland Playhouse, Portland Stage, Quintessence, Tri-Cities Opera, Westport Country Playhouse, Yale Rep.
Solomon's work in dance, dance/theatre and avant-garde music includes original full-length pieces with Alethea Adsitt, Jennifer Archibald, Joshua Beamish/MOVE, Maria Chavez, Ximena Garnica / Leimay, Lane Gifford, Invisible Anatomy, LoudHound Movement, Ofelia Loret de Mola, Patrick Lovejoy, Belinda McGuire, Stefanie Nelson, Patricia Noworol, The Nerve Tank (as resident designer), Waxfactory, and four major works as associate set designer with Bill T Jones. Solomon is currently collaborating on two new works in five venues with Robert Wilson.
As an educator and guest artist, Solomon has taught and worked with students at Bard, Barnard, Connecticut College, City College, Columbia, DeSales, East Stroudsburg, Fordham, NYU/Tisch, The New School, Princeton, University of the Arts, University of Rochester (where he was visiting adjunct faculty), Quinnipiac, and Yale.
He received his BFA with honors from Ithaca College and his MFA from the Yale School of Drama. He is New York-based and Oregon-born.
Awards / Honors:
- Drammy Nomination, pen/man/ship at Portland Playhouse, 2017
- Barrymore nomination, The Secret Garden with Arden Theatre Company, 2016
- Finalist of Opera America’s “Emerging Director/Designer Showcase”, 2015
- Featured in American Theatre Magazine's "Production Notebook" for Quartet v4.0 with WaxFactory, May/June 2010
- Drammy Nomination, A Christmas Carol with Portland Playhouse, 2013
- Stanley R. McCandless Fellow, Yale School of Drama
- George Harrison Senie Scholar, Yale School of Drama
- Member, United Scenic Artists Local 829
Current / Upcoming (selected):
- Le Trouvère with Robert Wilson and the Verdi Festival at the Teatro Farnese in Parma, Italy. September 2018. Directed by Robert Wilson
- Oedipus Rex with Robert Wilson, premiering at the Ancient Theatre in Pompeii, Italy. July 2018. Directed by Robert Wilson
- A Doll's House with the Arden Theatre Company, Jan-Feb 2018. Directed by Terrence J. Nolen
- We Don't Live on Mars Yet with University of Rochester International Theatre Program. Feb 2018. DIrected by Talya Chalef
- Middletown with the New School for Drama. March 2018. Directed by Ethan Heard