Solomon is a freelance lighting designer for live performance of all kinds. Current and upcoming projects include Oedipus (Teatro Olimpico, Vicenza and Teatro Mercadante, Napoli) and Le Trouvère (Teatro Farnese, Parma and Teatro Comunale di Bologna) both in collaboration with Robert Wilson.
Selected New York credits: Duat (Soho Rep); Men on Boats (Playwrights Horizons/Clubbed Thumb); This is the Color... (Door 10/Baryshnikov Arts Center); Christina Anderson’s Hollow Roots (Public - Under the Radar); America is Hard to See (LifeJacket/HERE); Rite of Spring (Martha Graham Dance Co.); The Soldier’s Tale (Carnegie Hall); The Velveteen Rabbit (Atlantic for Kids); Enemy of the People, The Pavilion, Expecting Isabel, Muswell Hill (Barrow Group); The Film Society (Keen / Theatre Row); I Came to Look for You on Tuesday (La Mama); White’s Lies (New World Stages). He is a core member of SHC.
Regionally: Arden, Berkshire Theatre Group, Magic, Merry-Go-Round, Portland Playhouse, Portland Stage, Quintessence, Tri-Cities Opera, Westport Country Playhouse, Yale Rep.
Solomon's work in dance, dance/theatre and avant-garde music includes original full-length pieces with Alethea Adsitt, Jennifer Archibald, Joshua Beamish/MOVE, Maria Chavez, Ximena Garnica / Leimay, Lane Gifford, Invisible Anatomy, LoudHound Movement, Ofelia Loret de Mola, Patrick Lovejoy, Belinda McGuire, Stefanie Nelson, Patricia Noworol, The Nerve Tank (as resident designer), Waxfactory, and four major works as associate set designer with Bill T Jones.
As an educator and guest artist, Solomon has taught and worked with students at Bard, Barnard, Connecticut College, City College, Columbia, DeSales, East Stroudsburg, Fordham, NYU/Tisch, The New School, Princeton, University of the Arts, University of Rochester (where he was visiting adjunct faculty), Quinnipiac, and Yale.
He received his BFA with honors from Ithaca College and his MFA from the Yale School of Drama. He is New York-based and Oregon-born.
Awards / Honors:
- Drammy Nomination, pen/man/ship at Portland Playhouse, 2017
- Barrymore nomination, The Secret Garden with Arden Theatre Company, 2016
- Finalist of Opera America’s “Emerging Director/Designer Showcase”, 2015
- Featured in American Theatre Magazine's "Production Notebook" for Quartet v4.0 with WaxFactory, May/June 2010
- Drammy Nomination, A Christmas Carol with Portland Playhouse, 2013
- Stanley R. McCandless Fellow, Yale School of Drama
- George Harrison Senie Scholar, Yale School of Drama
- Member, United Scenic Artists Local 829